Thursday, February 3, 2011

Smith Missionary Report

Smith Missionary Report

(Faith & Victory : Feb. 2002)


Greetings to all the saints in Jesus' name. I am very thankful for the blessings of God on my recent trip to Africa. God has proven His mercy and power, and He is truly worthy to be praised.

I left for Africa on November 29th and spent time in Ghana and Nigeria. I returned home on December 25th well in body and blessed in my soul....

[note: The first part of this report can be found under Ghana Mission History]

....After leaving Ghana and flying to Nigeria, I had a few days in Lagos that I spent with Bro. Essien and his family. I had time to study, pray and rest; and it proved to be a blessing to me both physically and spiritually. Bro. Essien and I traveled on an all night bus from Lagos to Port Harcourt. In the middle of the night, the axle on the bus broke. It was the mercy of the Lord that it broke right as we were pulling into a bus station. The roads that we were traveling are treacherous and dangerous, and we were thankful that God "kept" the bus until we were at a convenient place for a breakdown. There was another bus at the station to which we were able to transfer. We arrived in Port Harcourt on Sunday morning and were in service with Bro. Igbanibo and the saints there.

We then traveled to the village of Asana where I spent the rest of my time. The congregations in the Asana area lost their way a number of years ago. The Lord is beginning to do a work in that place. We had Bible studies and question/ answer sessions on three consecutive mornings with the ministers and gospel workers. It proved to be a real blessing and their desire is to grow and prosper. The convention in Asana was held from December 20-23. There were over 500 people in attendance the first night and many souls were saved. The Lord continued to be faithful throughout the meeting. Bro. Igbanibo and some of the saints from Port Harcourt came to Asana to help support the meeting. We concluded the convention on Sunday, December 23rd, with the Lord's Supper.

Bro. Igbanibo recently hosted a ministers' meeting of brethren from around the country of Nigeria in the interest of unity and fellowship. They plan to have another meeting in a few months. I firmly believe that God is doing a work in Nigeria to bring about the unity of faith and Spirit. There are needs and problems and the enemy will do everything he can to hinder spiritual progress. I encourage every reader to please pray that every stronghold of the enemy be broken down and that the Spirit of God could move as He desires. The brethren in Nigeria desire to eventually hold a national camp meeting. This effort is worthy of our support. They are looking forward to the day that a number of saints from America who are established in the way will come and be with them in services.

There are many needs in the gospel work in Africa as there are in other foreign works. The work is great but I thank God that He is in control. Lord help us each one to do our part and hear the voice of the Spirit. I thank each of you who carried a burden for me, my family, and the efforts in Africa while I was gone. Your prayers were not in vain and I thank God.

-Bro. Michael Smith

Index │ Next Article

No comments:

Post a Comment